Virtualizing XP with dual boot FC10/XP

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jan 6 20:54:10 UTC 2009

Agile Aspect wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I now have a virtual machine that runs Windows XP, however I am in
>> trouble with the Windows activation process because I can't (yet)
>> provide a valid product key code to the Microsoft activation server. The
>> installation CD is from Dell, I just bought a new laptop with a Dell
>> "Windows XP downgrade" and I need to ask Dell's support people how I'm
>> supposed to provide a valid product key for this. It may be that I have
>> to install Windows Vista first (because I have a Vista CD and product
>> key too) and then downgrade to XP, I don't know quite yet.
>>
> The valid product key for Windows on Dell laptops should be
> on bottom side of the computer.

Just as a thought, I have a laptop with "XP pro" and Fedora on the two
partitions which came from the factory, and of course a grub setup to boot one
or the other. Should you have a similar setup, you might find this interesting:

As root:
   # create a COW image of the whole hard drive
   qemu-img create -b /dev/sda -f qcow2 disk_bitimage
   # and boot it
   qemu-kvm -m 700 -hda disk_bitimage

Then boot Windows... Note that the changes are only in Linux, and I have not
remotely summoned the courage to try booting linux under this thing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>