Network interfaces refusing to start on boot: F10

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 6 20:55:16 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:
> I am hoping I've not missed the bus on this particular problem, but
> I've  been too busy to upgrade my systems to F10 until the last week
> or so.  One, being my daughter's new laptop.
>
> Now, I'm having one devil of a problem.  None of my F10 systems (2
> upgrades from F9 and one fresh install (the laptop)) network
> interfaces start on boot, even though in 'system-config-network' they
> are set to do so.
>
> Even the config files have 'ONBOOT' set to yes.  So, what's the deal?

NetworkManager works just fine.
Go ahead and add/modify the line in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scrpts/ifcfg-eth0, to:
NM_CONTROLLED=yes

Network manager will then have the network available whenever a user is
logged in, even in run mode 3. (like when you want to do a major update)

If you need to start network services after an interface is up, use the
scripts in:

/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d

Here is one I did to enable ntpd with NetworkManager:

#!/bin/sh

interface=$1
state=$2

case $state in
        up) /sbin/service ntpd start;;
        down) /sbin/service ntpd stop;;
        *) ;;
esac

---

Pretty trivial, and really slick.

If you need network services available all the time, then that is a
server, by definition, and by all means its fair to turn off NetworkManager.

For the vast majority of installs, NetworkManager is a blessing.
You may have to click the network icon once, and select 'System eth0',
for wired, and once for each wireless network you connect to.  After
that, its almost always automatic.

It is a huge improvement for most users.

Good Luck!