System freeze with ATI

Hi all.  I installed Fedora 10 on my Asus A7D laptop, which have an
ATI Radeon Mobility x700 video card.  Fedora automagically detected it
and used the open source drivers.  All worked fine, except the fact
that the system totally crash in these situations:

  1) Randomly;
  2) If I enable Desktop Effects.

Is there a way to workaround this bad issue?  Before trying to install
the proprietary drivers I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thank you.
--
Giuseppe Fuggiano