Re: System freeze with ATI

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:51:48 Giuseppe Fuggiano wrote:
> 2009/1/6 Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>:
> > I have been running since the pre-beta and haven't had an issue yet, on
> > my Acer "Extensa" using ATI drivers, so you can assume it's not some
> > general defect hitting all ATI laptops. I doubt it promises more than
> > that, however
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> If I use Ubuntu with open source drivers, the same issue occurs.  But
> switching to the proprietary drivers everything works fine, with no
> freeze.  I am unsure to try fglrx in Fedora right now, because I've
> heard that fglrx isn't supported with the current Xorg.
>
> What video card do you have, exactly?

Maybe you're in luck! :-)  About half an hour ago I wrote up
http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance#Desktop_Effects_causes_random_freezes

based on what I was told to try.  I've been working now for almost 11 hours
with that fix and not had a single freeze.  Before that they were random, as
you say, but fairly frequent.  This laptop has an ATi Radeon Mobility X600.

Anne