Re: Is this problem solvable?

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
My question is: given that I can ping the machine,
is there any way I can re-boot it remotely,
or even just re-start shorewall?

You haven't provided enough info, but I would guess no.  ssh would be
the typical method for doing this.  Obviously, it is not possible to
reboot a machine using ping.  So the question is are there any other
working services you could use (rsh, vnc, X Server)?

Actually there *is* a package to allow reboot via ping, it listens (like tcpdump) and finds a ping with a special secret content, and acts on it. I had it on a machine 5-6 years ago.

There was an article, something like "A ping of death for Linux" in one of the mags, which is where I saw it. Don't see it after a quick look.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>