Anybody virtualizing topo maps??

Shannon McMackin smcmackin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:45:05 UTC 2009

Beartooth wrote:

>      Any word etymologically related to 'virtualize' is one
> more thing I haven't gotten around to looking at yet. I remember
> once, quite a while back, I had a quick look at VMware, thinking
> about ways to get my proprietary map software to talk to my GPSs
> under linux; but something about it turned me off.
>
>      Installing & running GPS software under Wine/CXO has
> gotten way better in the last couple years, but I still can't do
> the crucial last step, so that I can transfer data back and
> forth.
>
>      So I asked on Gmane's winelist if anyone else had. No
> claims, though I waited for them; but somebody there says he does
> it with ease using VMware.
>
>      OK, so back to that -- wherever it is : here google, here
> google ... And the first I look at, dated last month, is
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/04/ibm_linux_lotus_virtual_desktop/
>
>      Am I reading this right?? They seem to be saying that IBM
> now has something called VERDE, true free software, that does
> VMware's job better than VMware. Pure puffery by marketing
> droids? Or is there something to it? Has anybody had any
> experience with it yet??
>
> 	If so, are there tricks a/o gotchas to using it with F10??

Unfortunately, that won't buy you anything.  It's a virtual client
solution for businesses that want to get away from running full-blown
desktop PCs in an office.

VMware or VirtualBox are probably your best bets for running WinXP to
install you GPS software.

I don't think wine/CXO have the ability to interface at the device level
with USB devices.  The other 2 products do, but they require a WinXP
license and install code.