Preupgrade (F8 to F10) fails on old machine

I ran preupgrade on an old machine (ThinkPad T20) running Fedora-8.
The first part went OK, but when I re-booted
it only read (or created?) 1% of install.img , and then hung.

Is this a normal problem?
If so is there are simple solution, like an addendum
to the grub stanza for the new system?

I should say, I didn't have enough space in /boot for install.img ,
which I imagine is normal, as we used to be told
to limit /boot to 100-150MB.