Re: Python Guru needed

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Jim <mickeyboa sbcglobal net> wrote:
Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Jim wrote:

FC 10/KDE

I'm trying to set a simple Alarm Clock in FC10 and I have a Python
script I picked up, but I have error, running the script.
Can you explain to me with # comments on each line how to make this work.

import time
import os

not_executed = 1

while(not_executed):
dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
hour = dt[3]
minute = dt[4]
if hour == 5 and minute == 45:
os.popen2("open /Users/jun/shout.mp3")
not_executed = 0

Error Message;

$ python AlarmClock
 File "AlarmClock", line 7
  dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
   ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

It's because of Python's always charming significant whitespace.  I.E.
Python uses indenting instead of braces, making problems like this
extremely common.  (No sane language even has "IndentationErrors". Also,
you were missing a paren, but that's not what caused the error above.

A correct version is attached.  Hopefully it will not get mangled by
your client.

Matt Flaschen

I ran yo
$ python times.py
Welcome to the talking alarm clock
This program is public domain

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "times.py", line 1, in <module>
  import time
 File "/home/mickey/time.py", line 8, in <module>
  t = time.localtime(time.time())

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'localtime'

Python is having problems of execute this line.

t = time.localtime(time.time())
1) This is getting offtopic
2) You need to at least send us the script you're using
3) There is no way that that line of code doesn't work if you did
`import time` first
4) You may want to check and IRC channel such as irc://freenode.net/fedora

Also, there are several alarm apps already in Fedora, it doesn't seem
like you're trying to learn Python, so might be best to just use an
already existing app.

I told you in the beginning I know nothing about Python.
I'm getting answers that assume, I know what your talking about, I don't, I just have a script that I'm asking how it works.
What are the other scripts that are already in Fedora.