MP3 playback in XMMS

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 8 00:16:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 19:07 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> What RPM do I need to install to get MP3 playback in XMMS? I forgot that
> RedHat in their <sarcasm>infinite wisdom</sarcasm> removed MP3 capability
> from XMMS when they packaged it.
----
you should probably learn to leave your sarcasm behind because it merely
demonstrates your lack of understanding of the issues involved.

Fedora, like any other American distribution doesn't include the codecs
for decoding mp3 format files because of patent/licensing restrictions.

If you have the rpmfusion repo stuff installed...

yum install xmms-mp3

Craig