Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jan 8 12:27:40 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:40:07 -0500
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> If I get one that makes sense, then I might shut up
>> about this, otherwise, to me NM is just re-inventing the wheel to no
>> purpose.
>
> It isn't merely reinventing the wheel, it is replacing the wheel with
> some utterly incompatible object that sometimes serves a wheel-like
> function while not actually working with anything that previously
> used wheels without extensive mods to all the former users of wheels.
> And, while, they were at it, they also provide absolutely no
> documentation about how to use the new wheel-like functionality
> then claim anyone who can't get it to work is just a whiner.

No kidding.  Let me give just one more example. I installed F10 on
another laptop (mine).  It's a Compaq Dual core AMD X2 with 8GB RAM.  A
fresh install.  I booted into it after the install (and setting up my
network info (wired).  Logged in as myself.

No network.

No hint of a network.  Loopback was up. Nothing more.  With a static IP.

Explain to me how this is 'better'?  Explain to the average, first time
user how to get this working?  Determine how many n00bs are gonna want
to fool with Fedora any more when a BASIC FUNCTION like networking, does
NOT work out of the box.

It's disgusting.  Period.  No, this isn't whining, this is simply a case
of failed functionality.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support