using VNC on Fedora

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Jan 8 15:03:14 UTC 2009

I'm stumbling a bit here, as I'm familiar with VNC under Windows. There, when
I connect to a machine running VNCServer, I am presented with the running
desktop and full access to all programs, the start menu, everything; I've just
set up VNCServer on my F10 box and connected to it from another F10 box, and
I'm being presented with a window inside of which is a terminal window, and
that's it. There appears to be no difference between doing this, and just
ssh'ing into the box via a command prompt. I looked at the configuration file
and uncommented the two lines it says to uncomment "for normal desktop", but,
nothing appears to have changed. I'm reading up on this as I type, but, can
someone with more experience tell me if I can eventually expect to have the
same command over the VNCServer machine as I can in Windows, or does VNC just
offer much less capability in Linux?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD