My sound quit sometime in the last couple weeks...

I don't have sound anymore.  It used to work fine, except that it
sometimes quit if I adjusted the volume in youtube.  If I restarted it
worked fine again.   Now I never have any sound.

The settings in kmix look OK.

Start-> Administration-> Soundcard Detection:

The following audio device was detected.

Selected card
Vendor: Intel Corporation
Model: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
Module: snd-hda-intel

Device settings
PCM device STAC92xx Digital

When I run the sound test and don't hear the sound, I get the following
message:

Automatic detection of the sound card did not work.  This audio device
will not be available on the system.

Any ideas ?

Thanks