the ATI proprietary driver and F10

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Jan 8 22:40:11 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 01:47:24 pm Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:
> > Mr. Bridgeman (the respondent)  is I think a staff engineer at ATI who
> > works on the process of disclosure of ATI card internals for free
> > software programmers, so it seems his reply is likely to be
> > authoritative. Fine. But how do I drop back to my previous working
> > config?
>
> Do you know what changes the ATI proprietary driver install made to
> your system?

no

> Was that done via an rpm package or via an install script?

install script

> Do you know what driver you were using before the proprietary ATI
> driver install?

whatever the default F10 video driver is

> Do you have a copy of the Xorg log from a working config before the
> ATI driver install to compare to a copy after the ATI driver install?

I'll look and get back to you

> It's difficult to know what to suggest unless I have an understanding
> of what the driver install did to your system. And I have no idea. And
> you'll excuse me if I don't rush out and attempt it on my own system
> just so I can see what breaks.

makes sense

> Try:
> system-config-display --reconfig

I don't have a usable system so probably I can't do that now.

> may help or it may not. Since I don't know what the proprietary
> drivers changed. I can't tell you if its going to do anything to fix
> it.

ok, let me dig up some more info and get back to you.

Thanks,

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933