Re: Netcat on Fedora is a different Netcat

2009/1/10 Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com>:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Giuseppe Fuggiano
> <giuseppe fuggiano gmail com> wrote:
>> Does that netcat version is shipped under BSD license, or still GNU/GPL?
> First why do you assume it was GPL before? Can you emphatically state
> that the license on the version you are expecting was in fact the GPL?
> I can not find reference to the GPL in packaging of other
> distributions that I have just checked. OpenSuse and Debian ship a
> netcat which is effectively public domain, according to the copyright
> notices I have found.

>From the sources... check the COPYING file.

I was talking about the 0.7.1 version shipped by my previous
distribution, which in fact is not updated since 2004.

> Second, since the Fedora package points you to the upstream source you
> have the ability to check the license for yourself quite easily.  I
> don't think its GPL by looking at the  c files in the openbsd cvs
> system.   I should file a bug about that against the nc package to get
> its license tag changed accordingly.

It seems to be a BSD license.  I choosen Linux for the GPL license and
I usually avoid the non-GPL software (Free Software) when adviced of
that, of course.

So, let's install *BSD.

Giuseppe Fuggiano