MP3 playback in XMMS

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:54:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>wrote:

> > > $ rpm -q audacious
> > > audacious-1.5.1-5.fc10.i386
> > >
> > > Also take a look at the package changelog.
> > >

> > Do you mean
> >
> > * Thu Nov 27 2008 Ralf Ertzinger 1.5.1-5
> > - Disable SSE2
>
> No. I only pointed out that 1.5.1 is available for a sufficiently recent
> release of Fedora. The package changelog often [albeit not always] reveals
> details about when version upgrades have been prepared and whether there
> have been any problems (which required more testing as well as patches or
> upstream-fixes prior to publishing Fedora packages).

I know F10 has audacious 1.5.1. What I do not see are the non-free plugins
for it.
I only found audacious-plugins-freeworld  1.4.5

> > I am on F8.
>
> Well, in my opinion it is a false expectation to use an aging distribution
> release and hope to get always the very latest applications as updates.
> Audacious in some releases has had API/ABI changes, too. Packagers need to
> be careful with such changes after the release of a distribution.

I am running F10 on another computer I use when I do not need video
performance.
Unfortunately, F10 still has some nasty video issues for my hardware (a
brand new Intel mobo).

> Anyway, shouldn't be of much concern to you if you prefer XMMS. ;)

On the contrary. Depending on the occasion I change the player.
If I want to play music for hours, I use rhythmbox with shuffle on.
xmms is nice for playing just a single CD, or some mp3 files someone has
just given me.
Furthermore, audacious also has to be patched for playing mid files, another
thing I need.
If I remember well, an audacious developer showed me the fix during an irc
session.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ