Flash audio conflict

I have determined, through experimentation, if in gnome-sound-properties the "Play sound effects when buttons are clicked" setting is enabled, most youtube videos play without sound, for a few seconds, before hanging completely. Youtube videos embedded in other pages still play fine; but playing videos directly off www.youtube.com does not work, in this manner. Turning off this setting allows Youtube videos to play fine.

Is anyone else seeing this -- I'm wondering if this is something that's particular to just my audio hardware.