Re: Disable root login via SSH

On 13Jan2009 11:54, Leon Vergottini <leon vergottini gmail com> wrote:
| I followed the steps on
| http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/security-tip-disable-root-ssh-login-on-linux
| http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=47795
|
| to disbale root log via ssh, however after doing it I am still able to log
| in as root.
|
| Also I have notice the option PermitRootLogin was no in the ssh_config file,
| so I added it in the file myself.
|
| Is there another way to do it?

Personally I set "UsePAM no" as well. Otherwise the PAM rules get in an
distort the nice clean rules visible in sshd_config...

You have remembered to restart sshd, too, yes?
  kill -1 $(</var/run/sshd.pid)
Sshd only reads its config when it starts, so this step or a stop/start
of the sshd service is needed for changes to take effect.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs zip com au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I'm a volunteer EMT-I on our local ambulance service; one of our Paramedics
calls squid style motorcycle accidents "ZoomSplats", as in "we had a good
ZoomSplat the other night". ;-)
        - Scott <traurig rapnet sanders lockheed com>