Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:12:51 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>> All I did when I installed F9 was check that box.
>>
>> When I log into KDE, the NM applet pops up its notice saying that the
>> ethernet is connected. But it's connected at least by time the login
>> screen comes up.
>>

> Nope.  Didn't work for me. Doesn't work that way in F10 either.  Again,
> I hate to beat a dead horse, but NM is great, in theory.  But only so.
> The current implementation is just badly conceived and I hate being
> forced to deal with it.  Linux was all about choice at one time. I don't
> like getting crap like NM shoved down my throat.
>
> Which is why I run Gentoo now on my personal systems.

If you don't like Network Manager, just remove it.

It worked for me on one machine but the other it wouldn't enable the
network on boot.  I have not tried the static IP with NM on F10 yet.  It
is working quite well on F7.

I run a static IP on this machine and I need the network at boot time so
I just configured the network normally and removed network manager.

Note that system-config-network didn't set the network properly.  I had
to manually change /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 manually.

--
Robin Laing