Dependencies for fglrx drivers

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jan 15 01:22:53 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> This is because people who build the DVD think you should use something
> else to configure your display, so they don't put system-config-display
> on the DVD. The DVD contents are not selected to include everything you
> might find useful as long as it will fit, but to include the things
> someone else thinks you should use.
>
> I understand why fglrx isn't on the DVD, the lack of the config tool
> seems like someone thinking they know better than you do how you should
> use your computer.
>
> I just inherited a 32" HDTV which can still be used as a display, so I
> will be fighting these problems on every machine on my KVM switch.

Rather then "someone thinking they know better than you do how you
should use your computer", I think it is the case that most people
are not going to need it, so it is not on the DVD. If you need it,
you can use yum to install it. I have not needed it on any of my
machines.

I keep hearing complaints like this from people that the defaults do
not work for, or that think the DVD should contain some other
programs, and not some of the ones that it does. While the balance
may not be perfect, I think it does a fairly good job of providing a
base install for most people. The default package choices don't
provide me with exactly what I want, but my preferences are a bit
different then the "average user". I don't expect the distribution
to match my needs "out of the box". I do expect to be able to
customise it for my needs. So far, Fedora takes the least amount of
customising.

Mikkel
--

Registered Linux User #16148  (http://counter.li.org/)