Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 19:38 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 18:08:55 Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:55:05AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > Netbook has arrived (yeah!)
> > >
> > > If I boot F10 Live CD, does it have necessary parted/gparted to shrink
> > > the NTFS partition to make room for F10 or do I have to use like a
> > > gparted-live CD for that?
> >
> > No need for a separate parted/gparted with Fedora.  The installer has
> > a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, built on the same
> > modern NTFS utilities, so you can just resize it down and continue
> > partitioning.  The resizing and partition writing gets done after
> > you've set things up the way you like.
> I'm not saying anything against gparted or any other such tool, but my natural
> caution says use a windows tool to do the windows bit and a linux tool to do
> the linux stuff.  That method has never let me down :-)
I think I stopped buying updates to Partition Magic at version 8 but

parted/gparted is a terrific open source application and I trust it
implicitly. Worse yet, if you run with a proprietary application and it
somehow does fail, they just say oops and you contribute little to the
community. If I have problems with the open source tools, I can give
feedback with the hope that I contribute to the knowledge and code

Myself, I have little usage for dual-boot and probably should just nuke
the Windows but it's a big disk - unlike the Sony PictureBook C1x that
it's replacing where I did nuke the Windows partition ultimately to make
all 4 GB of the disk available to Linux. All-in-all though, I got a lot
of miles out of the Sony PictureBook which at the time, was a very
expensive little guy.

Curious note from today...apparently the Acer Aspire netbooks are
significantly changing the map...

and apparently it's possible to install Mac OS X on the thing...

not that I have any interest in that.