shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 15 20:16:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 14:07 -0600, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 01:01:07PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Curious note from today...apparently the Acer Aspire netbooks are
> > significantly changing the map...
>
> I'm not surprised; they hit a sweet spot with the AA1.  Big enough hard
> drive to be usable, very decent display, large enough keyboard to use for
> touch-typing, good battery life, lightweight and small form factor,
> *very* hackable hardware, accepts Linux, and a really sensible price tag.
> I picked one up for my son to use in college, and find myself swiping it
> to throw in my coat pocket for client support.  (Ok, it's winter in
> Chicago, so the coat pocket is larger than some, but still.)
----
I spent 25 of the first 28 years of my life in Chicago (college in
Denver) and my memories of winter in Chicago had become vague having
been out of there since 1981 until a memory jarring Christmas in Denver
this year reminded me of what sub-zero temperatures were like. There
isn't a coat made that makes winters in Chicago tolerable - I don't care
how big the pockets are. I found out that in Phoenix, winter didn't
completely suck.

I had long been against giving laptops to students because they don't
last but for the cost of the AA1, who cares?

Craig