Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:38:10PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 18:08:55 Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:55:05AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > Netbook has arrived (yeah!)
> > >
> > > If I boot F10 Live CD, does it have necessary parted/gparted to shrink
> > > the NTFS partition to make room for F10 or do I have to use like a
> > > gparted-live CD for that?
> >
> > No need for a separate parted/gparted with Fedora.  The installer has
> > a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, built on the same
> > modern NTFS utilities, so you can just resize it down and continue
> > partitioning.  The resizing and partition writing gets done after
> > you've set things up the way you like.
>
> I'm not saying anything against gparted or any other such tool, but my natural
> caution says use a windows tool to do the windows bit and a linux tool to do
> the linux stuff.  That method has never let me down :-)

Does Windows include a tool that lets you shrink the system partition
on an installed box?  I know you can't do it while running off that
system, but what about something on their installation disc?

I certainly wouldn't want to see people think they needed to go buy a
$40 tool to do something that works perfectly fine with a free one.
I've tested Anaconda's method myself with plenty of systems I cared
about and suffered no ill effects, but obviously YMMV.

Paul