Problem building kernel 2.6.28

Im having problems building a 2.6.28 kernel.
My first problem (discussed in a previous posting) involves the error message
when booting of

	rpcbind: server localhost not responding

I have yet to get a response on that one that helps, so I tried merging two
configuration files, one that doesnt produce the problem, with one that does.
(The one that doesnt is from a previous kernel.)

As expected, xconfig complains a lot on reading the merged config file, but
I had hoped that it would have done the right thing.  It seems it has, AND
I get no errors while BUIDING the kernel but when I boot, I get the messges

	insmod: error inserting `/lib/ehci-hcd.ko': Invalid module format
				      ohci-hcd.
				      uhci-hcd.
				      jbd.
				      ext3.
				      scsi-mod.
		(fill in)	      sd-mod.		(fill in)
				      libata.
				      atapiix.
				      dm-mod.
				      dm-log.
				      dm-region-hash.
				      dm-miror.
				      dm-zero.
				      dm-snapshot.

and then other errors caused by these missing modules.

Normally I would expect an error like this to be caused by a lack of memory
while doing the compiles, but that doesnt seem to be the case, and there
are NO complaints in a typescript of the kernel build.

Any thoughts.
I seem to be regressing, rather than making forward progress on this project.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg dwf com