mount question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 16 06:46:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 12:27 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
> My understanding is that in /media the OS expects to find removable
> media such as usb drives. The /mnt mount point is for nfs and local
> filesystems. Those mount points are sort of "designated" places for
> specific filesystems.

More like, /media is used by one of the automounting systems.  It
doesn't look in /media, and finding something in it mounts it.  It puts
things in it, when the hardware is noticed.

/mnt was traditionally for mounting something onto it.  i.e. One thing
mounted on /mnt, rather than things mounted on subdirectories in it.
However, since the automounters don't look in it, it's safe to use for
personal customisation in (almost) whatever way you want to.  I disclaim
that, slightly, since some people will do daft things.

You can also create other mount points directly off the root.  And since
the automounter won't be playing with them, you won't have problems with
it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686