Re: KVM Switch Suggestions -- Are The Ebay Cheapies Okay?

Robert L Cochran wrote:
jack wallen wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
Are the no-name-brand, two-port, USB 2.0 PS2 KVM switch boxes with two
cables which sell for $14.99 and free shipping on EBay any good? Here is
an example: item 140294824343 from seller insidecomputer. Recent
discussions (from 2007) suggest IOGear and Trendnet switches as good
brands. If I can get a cheap switch that works, though, I'm willing to
do it.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

avoid them. i bought one on ebay - a cheap USB one. it did two things:
prevented Fedora from being able to read the modes from the monitor so
I couldn't get proper resolution and, even worse, killed every usb
port on my system. i now have to get a PCI usb card in order to use
any USB device.

so, yeah, i wouldn't bother.
That's a rather convincing damage report. I was really tempted to get
the el cheapo units. I'm looking at IOGear KVMs now.

Bob

i will say i have a cheap Belkin PS/2 KVM that has never caused me any problems. only thing with that is it is only a two port.