No login screen after reboot in Fedora 10

Fedora 10 was running fine on my friend's laptop.Today when I rebooted the bootloader and bootsplash everything shows up but there is no login screen only a black screen with a blinking cursor.So I went to the terminal and typed startx which gave me errors like
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module requirement mismatch,0)

Before that he had installed synaptics and after reboot the whole thing happened.Even doing system-config-display --reconfig doesn't help.The problem is worse because I can't even copy and paste logs here because it has no connection or X server.
I also tried X -ignoreABI command but that makes the whole thing freeze.The graphic card is intel.Well as a bail out option I'm thinking of a format but that would be very painful.
Thanks
--
Abhishek Rane
www.abhishekrane.com