Total newcomer trrying to set up wireless

Hi all, I recently built my first Linux system, figuring it was time to give Linux a try after years and years with Windows (and many more besides in years gone by, including Unix).

It's not going well I'm afraid... I connect to the internet using a Buffalo Wireless G adaptor, but having plugged this in I have no idea whether it's properly recognised (it is listed in the network utility) nor how to make it work with the selected network. Is there a step by step process to making a wireless device work?

After that I'll need to set up a network attached printer. Should I give up now?

David