How do I allow automatic non root access to my non standard USB device ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:04:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 09:39 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> suggestion: find the udev|hal rules for allowing the console logged in
> user to
> use the sound card, and mimic them for your device.

I agree with the approach, although reading an article that outlined how
it works these days in F10 would be better.

Where would I start looking for how a comparable USB device is handled ?
I looked in /etc/udev/rules.d, but I don't see any specific handlers for
devices and the hal-rules.d file has this:

# pass all events to the HAL daemon
RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"

Have things changed ?