Re: Ideal Swap Partition Size

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Rahul Tidke <rahul excelize com> wrote:
Hello,
 I am configuring a server with 3 GB of RAM; how much swap partition size should I allocate. I think allocating twice of RAM will be waste of HDD space. What is the standard.

The double rule was created when computers had very little ram (< 512MB).

If you intend to hibernate, then you need at least the same size of the ram.
Otherwise, I think 1GB is good enough.  But you can always use a file as a swap
area.

http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=502

http://sanjaykatiyar1.blogspot.com/2007/08/create-swap-file-in-fedora-linux.html

--