Re: NetworkManager overwriting resolv.conf

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 11:10 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I have been pulling my hair out over this, but seem to have a
> work-around after a lot of searching, but I'd like to know if there's a
> better way. Here's the info:
>
> I'm building a server with F10 that (obviously) needs a static IP
> address. It seems the best way to handle what's needed is to go ahead
> and let NetworkManager still control the IP address.
>
> BUT... I need to have that IP address activated at system startup, so it
> must be configured via system-config-network as System eth0 (and eth1 in
> this case) and then be controlled by NM.
>
> Unfortunately, this machine - like most systems today - also needs DNS.
> I'm running named as it's meant to be an internal local DNS server for a
> bunch of other stuff too, but NM has a VERY nasty habit of
> overwriting /etc/resolv.conf with something that's basically BLANK. So
> every reboot, you have problems resolving DNS.

You can tell NetworkManager which DNS servers to use, so that when it
overwrites /etc/resolv.conf it does so with the correct information.

If you've installed a GUI on your server, right click on NM, then Edit
Connections.  Choose System ethX (where X is your interface number),
then set the DNS servers to the ones you want.

If your server is text only,
edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX, and add the lines
DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's are the IP
addresses of your DNS servers; you could set it to 127.0.0.1 if you're
running named locally).

Jonathan