Re: life without system-config-display

Craig White wrote:
> kcmshell ksynaptics says...
>
> Shared Memory is not accessible.
>
> Please add the option 'SHMConfig "on"' into the touchpad section
> of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> and of course, there isn't any xorg.conf file - ignoring that, it says
> 'Using Driver' "none" - which of course is why my touchpad isn't
> happening.
>
> do I have to insmod/modprobe something?

Create an /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi with the following contents:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
       <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
           <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
type="string">true</merge>
       </match>
   </device>
</deviceinfo>

Using xorg.conf for input configuration is obsolete and should no longer be
done.

Be warned that SHMConfig is insecure (that's why it's disabled by default).

        Kevin Kofler