F10 - Dell Inspiron - kernel doesn't see battery

I just brought back an Inspiron laptop from the dead, with a hard drive transplant. I put F10 on it.

Although the display automatically dims when I unplug it from AC power, and run off the battery -- so something is working in that area -- /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0 sez "present: no", so gnome's power meter is useless.

Anyone else has power management working 100% with an Inspiron? Any magical kernel command line voodoo?