Manage identities in thunderbird

As I'm having some gpg problems with kmail I decided to set up thunderbird as
a fall-back.  Now I want to add identities.  Googling tells me that when I get
up the properties for an account I should click the Manage Identities button,
but I don't have such a button.  Does any t'bird user know why?  Thanks

Anne