Re: How to adapt F9 initrd to new motherboard/chipset, was: F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

M. Fioretti wrote:

> Considering this, may I ask you please to sum up again
> what I should do fix initrd to make it see the root partition through the
> new chipset? I do know that most of this information is already in the
> original thread, but I would really appreciate such help, since it was
> given in a different context. Above all, I'd be much more comfortable if
> somebody with more competence on this, and with a clearer mind than I have
> in these hours, could confirm what ought to be done.
>
> Thank you all for your patience and help, both the one you gave yesterday
> and in the future.
>
> M.

Boot the install CD/DVD.
Pick "Rescue an installed system" from the menu.
Answer the usual questions about language and stuff.
Don't bother to bring up the network.
Let it mount your partitions.
chroot /mnt/sysimage
cd /boot
Run ls to get the kernel version. (Use the latest installed.) This
will also give you the name of the initrd.
mkinitrd -f <initrd name> <kernel version>

If you do not get any errors, then type "exit" twice and the system
will reboot.

Here is an example from a fc9 virtual box.
mkinitrd -f initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686

Mikkel