rpcinfo problems

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Jan 18 20:42:07 UTC 2009

    I just rebuild another system, from scratch, with FC10.  rpcinfo has
decided to give me some grief and I'm hoping someone can decipher this:

    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
    [ snipped a long list of other hosts ]

    $ service rpcbind status
    rpcbind (pid 2352) is running...

    $ service nfslock status
    rpc.statd (pid  2369) is running...

    $ rpcinfo -p localhost
    rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Unknown host

    If I don't tack the 'localhost' I get the expected result:

    $ rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  33977  status
    100024    1   tcp  57425  status

    Why won't it work with 'localhost' tacked on?  I have another FC10
machine where that works just fine.

    For the record: SElinux isn't installed, iptables is disabled, and
nmap shows the port listening.  Why won't it work?

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6