Re: rpm FC10

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, stan wrote:

Patrick Dupre wrote:
Hello,

I need to clean the rpm packages after a failure in the final update of Fedora 10.
disk full !
Every times I make more than 15 rpm -e "package"
the database is mess up.
I need to run a rpm --rebuilddb.
Why ?
I have the same problem with 2 machines !!

Regards.

Are you keeping old packages around. Try yum clean packages to see if it erases anything and frees up some disk space.

In your situation I would try using yum for the removal too. I run F10 and have hundreds of updates with their corresponding changes to the RPM database without any issues at all. But I don't use RPM directly, it is called from yum. If this is not caused by any other issue it is a bug in RPM (are you using --nodeps option to erase packages even if they have dependencies?). The disk full problem could be causing this due to space problems for the database also.

yum remove <list of packages here in the format of just the name e.g. evolution thunderbird gcc >

Same thing:
example:
yum remove coreutils-6.12-17.fc10.i386

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 11868.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
--> Running transaction check
---> Package coreutils.i386 0:6.12-17.fc10 set to be erased
rpmdb: page 161: illegal page type or format
rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
error: db4 error(-30975) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

It could be due to a lock because another application may be trying to
access to the database. How can I check on that ?

I am carreful, I do not use --nodeps, if their is a dependency issue
I remove all the package at the same time.

Regards.

Yum will inform you of any dependency problems.

--
---
 Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |