rpm FC10

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 21:53:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, stan wrote:

> Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to clean the rpm packages after a failure in the final update of
>> Fedora 10.
>> disk full !
>> Every times I make more than 15 rpm -e "package"
>> the database is mess up.
>> I need to run a rpm --rebuilddb.
>> Why ?
>> I have the same problem with 2 machines !!
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> Are you keeping old packages around.  Try yum clean packages to see if it
> erases anything and frees up some disk space.
>
> In your situation I would try using yum for the removal too.  I run F10 and
> have hundreds of updates with their corresponding changes to the RPM database
> without any issues at all.  But I don't use RPM directly, it is called from
> yum.  If this is not caused by any other issue it is a bug in RPM  (are you
> using --nodeps option to erase packages even if they have dependencies?).
> The disk full problem could be causing this due to space problems for the
> database also.
>
> yum remove <list of packages here in the format of just the name e.g.
> evolution thunderbird gcc >

Same thing:
example:
yum remove coreutils-6.12-17.fc10.i386

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 11868.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running
yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
--> Running transaction check
---> Package coreutils.i386 0:6.12-17.fc10 set to be erased
rpmdb: page 161: illegal page type or format
rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
error: db4 error(-30975) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
error, run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

It could be due to a lock because another application may be trying to
access to the database. How can I check on that ?

I am carreful, I do not use --nodeps, if their is a dependency issue
I remove all the package at the same time.

Regards.

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk