Re: For some reason, I am not getting fedora-list emails.

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Yea!!!  I got it back!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  I was really
> beginning
> to think I lost my marbles somewhere!
>
> Now - I'd like to try and find out why I am getting bounces!  Next on
> my TODO list - but I need a little help finding out why?  Can someone
> advise me how to track this down?  I have no clue!
Since your email is coming directly into your systems you should have
evidence of bounced/rejected messages in your email server logs.
However, since you use M$ as your primary server I personally don't know
how to grok their logs.   That is one of the reasons I would switch the
MX primary to a Linux host.  :-)

One thing that I would also consider....

As pointed out by someone else...bounces are typically problems at the
receiving end.  Since you have one primary MX host the secondary will
not be used unless the primary is down/unreachable.  If the problem is
"intermittent" it *may* be a problem with the secondary.  So, I would
configure my MX hosts with equal weights so both get exercised in a
"round robin" sort of way.

But.....

After thinking about it....I think I may have found the problem....  The
problem is with your secondary email server.

[egreshko misty ~]$ telnet mail2.cdkkt.com 25
Trying 216.99.218.205...
Connected to mail2.cdkkt.com (216.99.218.205).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 linux.cdkkt.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.2/8.14.2; Sun, 18 Jan 2009
17:05:23 -0800
ehlo misty.greshko.com
250-linux.cdkkt.com Hello misty.greshko.com [203.70.27.121], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
mail from:<ed greshko greshko com>
250 2.1.0 <ed greshko greshko com>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<dant cdkkt com>
550 5.7.1 <dant cdkkt com>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication
required.
quit
221 2.0.0 linux.cdkkt.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

So, if your primary is down....your secondary will start bouncing emails....