install different gcc on fedora 10 for PPC 64

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jan 19 03:21:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 20:26 -0500, Gang Ma wrote:
        Hi,

        I tried to use earlier version of gcc to compile my code because I got
        segmentation error message using current gcc bundled with Fedora 10 (PPC 64
        version).  When I tried to install earlier version of GCC from RPMfind, I
        can not install it. I am wondering how to get around this? Thank you very
        much.

        regards,

        gma

(1) Segfault by the compiler, or  by your compiled code?  Are you sure
the new compiler hasn't just revealed an existing bug in your code?

(2) Look for the compat-* packages in yum to see if there's a version of
the compiler you can use.  The compat-* packages are designed to live
side by side with the main versions.  You need the main version from the
distribution to build system code for the distribution.  If the problem
is a segfault in the compiler, report the bug to bugzilla.redhat.com.

(3) If there is no appropriate compat-* package, your best bet may be to
build the version from scratch using sources from gnu.org and install
the compiler in /usr/local.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences