vnc server problem

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Mon Jan 19 03:42:18 UTC 2009

   I administer several 'family' computers using vnc server running on
the root display (n.b. on root display)

   To achieve this I did the following in Fedora 10:

   Created an xorg.conf with the following lines
#
# Minimal xorg.conf for vnc on root display
#
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
        Option "passwordfile" "/usr/local/etc/vnc/passwd"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load "vnc"
EndSection

Retsarting X (telinit 3; telinit 5)

Shows vnc starting - /var/log/Xorg.0.log has:
(II) LoadModule: "vnc"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libvnc.so
(II) Module vnc: vendor="RealVNC Ltd"
        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 1.1
(II) Loading extension VNC

 However nothing is listening on port 5900 ...

 So it doesn't work.

 Any help much appreciated.

thanks.