Restoring NetworkManager settings

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:35:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:35:47PM -0800, Dave Roberts wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 18:47 -0800, Alan Evans wrote:
>
> > I wanted to temporarily assign static IP settings for eth0, and like a
> > dufus I used system-config-network. Unchecked "Controlled by Network
> > Manager" and entered the desired addresses. This worked fine as far as
> > it went.
> >
> > When I was finished with the temporary settings, I went back and
> > re-checked the box for NetworkManager control. But NM never really
> > "took control" of eth0 again. I looked in "Edit Connections..." from
> > NM and saw that what used to be "Auto eth0" now said "System eth0."
> > There was no obvious way to change or delete it. Even root wasn't
> > allowed to delete it from the NM dialog.
> >
> > I eventually did manage to get "Auto eth0" back by manually deleting
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. But I can't edit anything
> > about the connection, which is what I should have done instead of
> > involving system-config-network.  Everything under the edit dialog for
> > Auto eth0 is grayed out.
> >
> > I booted the LiveCD just to confirm that it was not always so. Sure
> > enough, from the LiveCD boot, I can freely edit eth0 using
> > NetworkManager. How do I get that back?
>
> I did almost the same thing and I'm in the same state. In my case, I was
> trying to give my Ethernet a static IP. Now, for whatever reason,
> NetworkManager (maybe better called NetborkManager) has all the
> interface config grayed out and it says "System eth1". If I try to set
> DNS configuration in system-config-network, it gets overwritten whenever
> NetworkManager does its thing.
>
> Any assistance in diagnosing what's happening would be of great help.
>
> As a base question, are these two utilities supposed to play well
> together? If not, why aren't isn't there correct conflict information in
> the RPMs?

Try this:

* Select System > Administration > Network, give the root password,
  and in the Devices tab, deselect the checkbox for the eth1 device.
  That removes it from the common profile.  Your system may go offline
  when this happens.

* Right-click your NetworkManager applet, choose Edit Connections, and
  the Wired tab.  If you don't see one, add a connection called "Auto
  eth1."  Edit it as desired, including changing the IPv4 settings to
  eschew DHCP for a manually set static IP address.

This works for me on the station I'm using right now, which is running
Fedora 10.  Most of the time that I see people having trouble with
NetworkManager, it comes from trying to fight NM using the old tools,
when in fact you can generally do everything you want from the NM
interface nowadays.  The "Auto <interface>" connection name may be the
one trick you were missing.