Internal IDE DVD Burner

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 20 21:57:22 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>> Gene Poole wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I've run into a bad DVD burner/reader and maybe someone can
>>> help.  At home I've got 5-internal DVD burners and at work I have
>>> 1-external DVD burner at my disposal. Of these 6-burners I'm pretty
>>> sure I know the brand names of most (2-Sony; 1-HP; 1-eMachine;
>>> 1-Pioneer; 1-LiteOn) based upon the machines they are in. I know the
>>> Sony's are the same even though 1 is internal and the other external.
>>> The burner I seem to be have the problem with is the Pioneer.  It
>>> doesn't seem to process a Fedora 9 x86_64 or CentOS 5.2 x86_64
>>> installation DVD - even if the thing was burned on it!  All of the
>>> blank DVDs are +R and I use Verbatim, HP, Imation, and TDK.
>>> Currently the machine that houses the Pioneer is the only x86_64
>>> machine I have, so I have no way to test on another machine.
>>> The only install DVD that is working is Fedora 8 and Fedora 10.  I
>>> want to install CentOS 5 as it's the most like the Red Hat 5.1 I
>>> support at work and I want to run Oracle on my machine. How can I
>>> verify a x86_64 install DVD on a non-x86_64 machine (I've done the
>>> md5sum and sha1sum process at DVD creation time)?  Is it because I've
>>> burned a x86_64 DVD on a i386 machine causing me a problem?  Should I
>>> just try -R DVDs?  Should I lower the burn speed?  Is the phantom of
>>> the DVD haunting me?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Gene
>>>

>> I had a problem with burning DVD's and it turned out to be the power
>> supply.  The voltage was at the lower limit as measured with a volt
>> meter but when burning DVD's would go below the required voltage.  It
>> was a pretty new power supply.  A new drive didn't fix the problem.
>>
>> The BIOS and sensor both said the supply was within spec but using a
>> Fluke showed otherwise.
>
> The sensors and BIOS can only check the motherboard power, not the power
> at the drives.  The +12VDC at the mobo usually comes from a different
> regulator in the power supply than the +12VDC on the drive connectors
> (good thing, too).  As Robin says, nothing beats a good DVM when
> debugging flakey stuff.

Actually, the sensors which are on the mother board can only tell the
correct voltage if they are accurate.  In my case, the sensors were
reading +5.4V when the DVM was telling me +4.7 at the mother board
connector.

Reading through the sensors setup I found that the sensors are not
accurate.  I was not impressed in this day and age.  If I had not had
issues with a new DVD burner I would never had checked the voltages
because the BIOS reading was giving me a green light.

I should compare my new system to the sensors reading.

--
Robin Laing