Re: ATT's DSL Lite for Linux

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:05:39PM +0000, dvbchnc juno com wrote:
> Is there any low cost High Speed Internet service for Linux?  ATT is
> offering ..., but for Windows 2000, AT, or Vista only.

Their software is junk anyway; I never install it even on client and/or
friend's Windows systems.

As long as you use Ethernet, you don't need their software.  AT&T uses
PPPoE programmed into the DSL modem.  You'll do best to set up the modem
using a laptop or other system on which you can readily change the IP
address.  The list probably isn't interested in the details, but
essentially you use a browser to go to the AT&T website, create your
Yahoo account, login & password, then connect directly to the DSL box to
program those into it for the PPPoE connection.

Alternatively, talk to AT&T to put the DSL modem into bridge mode, and
have the Linux system handle the PPPoE authentication.

	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat dminet com