Samba and printer question.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 20 22:25:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 14:11 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> You are better off using IPP to connect to CUPS with Vista.

I haven't tried printing from Vista to CUPS, yet, but with prior Windows
versions, using IPP (HTTP printing) on the Windows boxes worked fine.
It also takes one thing out of the middle.

Printer <-> CUPS <-> Samba <-> Windows computer
versus
Printer <-> CUPS <-> Windows computer

Simplifying things generally is a better approach.

You'll probably need to pre-render, first, whichever approach.  i.e. On
the Windows box you use a local Windows printer driver for that model
printer, and send the printer's data over HTTP.

An alternative is using a PostScript driver on the Windows box.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.