updateing ARGHH.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 21 00:50:17 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:08 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> "--force" is a bit of overkill here. All you should need is
>> "--replacepkgs". The "--replacefiles" option that is part of the
>> "--force" options can turn around a bite you if you are not careful.
>>
>> On the other hand, if there are still dependencies problems,
>> "--force" is not going to help with that.
>>
>> One final note - the format is "rpm -i --replacepkgs <rpms>" - if
>> you try to use install it is going to treat install as an rpm to be
>> installed. (You can use --install) Personally, I like to use -ivh
>> when installing, so I can see what is going on...
> ----
> For the record...man rpm says (F10)...
>
>  --force   Same as using --replacepkgs, --replacefiles, and
>            --oldpackage.
>
> so I'm unclear what distinction you are trying to make here Mikkel
>
> Craig

The distinction I was trying to make was that "--replacepkgs" was
the safest way to re-install a package. With "--force", you are also
enabling 2 more options that are not needed, and one,
"--replacefiles", may cause you to overwrite things you do not mean
to. The "--oldpackage" option may also result in you actually
installing an older version, instead of just re-installing the
current version. Now, if you never make mistakes in typing, then the
distinction does not matter. But with my typing, I like to play
things safe. :) RPM lets me do that by separating out the the 3
different options that are in "--force".

Mikkel