Package Manager Denies Permission to Install

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:42:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:21 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> It does not stop me from doing what I want to do. It just makes it more
> difficult and time-consuming. It does not actually enhance security in
> any meaningful way. And it disrespects me by implying that I effectively
> do not have the brains to come in out of the rain. And it disrespects
> every person who wrote the GUI code which you implicitly claim is insecure.

Please read http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

The GTK developers say "do not run GUI code as root". They are the ones
who write the GUI code. As for gnome-packagekit, _I_ wrote the code.

Trust me, you have to be very paranoid when writing code that runs as
uid 0, and that's not your average programmer writing a few hundred
lines of python.

Richard.