ATT's DSL Lite for Linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 21 10:17:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 04:14 +0000, g wrote:
> only thing i do not like about wireless is that i have yet to find a
> way to do a band scan. it is selected to a fix frequency in
> configuration so there is no easy way to see what my neighbors are up
> to. ;o)

You want to look for software to play with the wireless interface on
your computer, not the router, so *it* scans to see what's around.

Or, simply look through the output of:  /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan

There's legit reasons for that.  e.g. To figure out which channel is
probably best for you to use, when you're surrounded by other wireless
users that might cause inteference.  It's a pity that the bar graphs
that NetworkManager shows you for different access points doesn't also
tell you what channel they use.

My access point is supposed to have an auto scanning feature to pick the
best free channel.  It doesn't, it picks the worst...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.