Package Manager Denies Permission to Install

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 21 10:36:14 UTC 2009

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Please read http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
> The GTK developers say "do not run GUI code as root". They are the ones
> who write the GUI code. As for gnome-packagekit, _I_ wrote the code.

That stuff affects setuid, i.e. where you're giving out blanket permission
to *anyone* to run code as root.

What we're talking about in this thread is somebody who knows the root
password logging in as root on their own machine and running the entire
session as root. Quite a different scenario from a security perspective.

        Kevin Kofler