Re: Ideal Swap Partition Size

Tim:
>> It seems strange to think that a system will swap just because
>> there's swap space available.  Surely, it's only going to swap when
>> it needs to, and you'd be faced with operating and swapping, or being
>> unable to swap and unable to operate once you reach that stage.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> True, but in some systems -- especially those with realtime
> requirements -- it can actually be preferable to fail than to go slow
> (due to what we oldtimers call "thrashing").

But it wouldn't be case of your application running or not, it'd be a
case of something else dying off, as some additional task was started up
at an inopportune moment.  A Linux OS isn't just one running process,
even if you only run one application on the box.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.