Re: eth0 not working - fine in Windows

2009/1/21 Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au>:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 22:31 +0000, Chris wrote:
>> It turned out I just had to power the machine off, disconnect the LAN
>> cable and power to the PC, wait a minute, reconnect the network cable
>> and power on again, now everything's working again!
>
> Sometimes a cold reset is necessary.  I've come across hardware, before,
> that doesn't get properly initialised when warm booting.  The drivers
> should do that, or the motherboard should send a reset pulse that
> hardware actually obeys, but it doesn't happen (in those cases).

Indeed. I've worked in computing for a long time with a wide variety
of hardware but I'd never seen this symptom before.

Part of the problem is that at work, the machines are on a workbench
so you tend to pull out cables and move the machine around. At home,
the PC is under the desk so it just sits there and I didn't think
about pulling the cables.

Constant learning process I guess,

Cheers, Chris.