source RPMs and updating

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 03:56:48 UTC 2009

brian wrote:
> I've built my own Postfix package from SRPM and have recently
> updated it. To do so, I used the newer SRPM and repeated the
> process.
>
> But, I'm wondering if, once a package has been built, can it be
> updated using a pre-built RPM without losing the specs used to build
> the original? Or, will the newer RPM simply override everything
> according to how it was built?
>
> Just to clarify, the original built-from-source package was:
> postfix-2.5.1-1.sasl2.spf.fc8.i386.rpm

I'm a bit confused, but I think that what you're saying you've done is
that you changed some of the default build options for postfix and
created your own binary package.  Correct?

If so, then you'll need to do the same thing again to build an updated
postfix package.

Of course, if all you changed was a config file in /etc/postfix, then
that should be saved by rpm on a package update.

You pretend to work, and we'll pretend to pay you.